Saturday, December 16, 2017

On the day Malaysia Airlines learned it is losing its chief executive, the nation’s Transport Minister has said three firms are bidding to continue the search for flight MH370 — with one company offering a “no-find, no-fee” deal.

The Boeing 777 with 239 people aboard went missing in March 2014 on a routine flight to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.

A two-year search of the southern Indian Ocean, coordinated by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), was called off in January.

But in August, another Australian organisation claimed to have pinpointed the crash site “with unprecedented precision and certainty”. 

Speaking to journalists in Kuala Lumpur, the Malaysian Transport Minister, Liow Tiong Lai, said a proposal had been received from the the American seabed exploration company, Ocean Infinity, that specified payment only if the aircraft was found.

In addition, the Dutch firm, Fugro, which was involved in the original search and an unidentified Malaysian company, have bid for resuming the search.

“We won’t be deciding anything now on whether we are embarking on a new search or not,“ said Mr Liow.

The Malaysian government will discuss the options with Australia and China, many of whose citizens were aboard the lost aircraft. 

Malaysia Airlines is searching for a new chief executive after the incumbent, Peter Bellew, revealed he has been lured back by Ryanair to his former role as chief operations officer for the airline.